‘This was not a natural flood, it's man-made flood’: Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma assures strong action against those who willing breached the vital embankment which led rising water from Barak River to enter Silchar town causing massive flood

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has said that strong action will be taken against those people who broke the bethukandi embankment, which led rising water from the Barak River to enter the Silchar town, causing an unprecedented flood.
While Silchar faces floods almost every year, this year the situation is very bad, with flood waters reaching the roofs of some single-floor houses in the largest town in Southern Assam.
However, this flood has been described as a man-made flood by officials and the CM, not a natural flood. While on a visit to Silchar on June 23 to review the flood situation, Himanta Biswa Sarma said that people were willing to breach the vital embankment and not action but strong action will be taken against the culprits. The CM added that if people break embankments then there can be no solution to the flood problem.
|
‘This was not a natural flood, this flood was created. What measures can be taken to prevent a created flood? For natural floods, we can think about solutions, but if people decide that they will bring in water, what can be done’, the CM said.
It is notable that last month, some people cut the vital embankment to let water from a lake enter the river. While the water level had risen in May, the embankment was not breached. But the rising water had flown over the embankment and entered the area. Due to this, the water level of Mahisha Lake had gone up. As the flood situation was still worrying, the irrigation department had not opened the sluice gate, and the water in the late didn’t recede, even though the water in the Barak river started to recede.
Due to this, people living in the area had started to dig a pathway for the water to move from the lake to the river. This did solve the problem, and the water level in the lake came down. But this was a big mistake by people because when the water in the river started to rise again due to non-stop rain earlier this month, there was no embankment to keep the water away from the town. The strong water current quickly widened the drain that was dug through the dyke, and water started to enter Silchar through it.
|
While the Water Resource Department had filed an FIR after it was learned that the embankment was breached by people, allegedly the authorities didn’t take action in time to repair it. The department later did repair the damage, but by that time it was too late and it could not hold back the water.
Talking about the issue, Assam State Disaster Management Authority CEO GD Tripathi said, “the action by the miscreants turned out to be counterproductive and it resulted in widespread flooding in Silchar. Many parts of the town are still flooded.”
An FIR has been registered with Cachar police in the matter.
|
References:
opindia.com
Support Us
Satyagraha was born from the heart of our land, with an undying aim to unveil the true essence of Bharat. It seeks to illuminate the hidden tales of our valiant freedom fighters and the rich chronicles that haven't yet sung their complete melody in the mainstream.
While platforms like NDTV and 'The Wire' effortlessly garner funds under the banner of safeguarding democracy, we at Satyagraha walk a different path. Our strength and resonance come from you. In this journey to weave a stronger Bharat, every little contribution amplifies our voice. Let's come together, contribute as you can, and champion the true spirit of our nation.
![]() | ![]() | ![]() |
ICICI Bank of Satyaagrah | Razorpay Bank of Satyaagrah | PayPal Bank of Satyaagrah - For International Payments |
If all above doesn't work, then try the LINK below:
Please share the article on other platforms
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text. The website also frequently uses non-commercial images for representational purposes only in line with the article. We are not responsible for the authenticity of such images. If some images have a copyright issue, we request the person/entity to contact us at satyaagrahindia@gmail.com and we will take the necessary actions to resolve the issue.
Related Articles
- 1410 hectares of encroached forest land recovered: Assam govt carries out eviction drive in Lumding
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed Assam in 'Peace, Unity and Development Rally' today: Inaugurates 7 cancer hospitals, lays the foundation for 2950 Amrit Sarovar projects for Rs 1150 crore
- CM Basavaraj Bommai announces that Karnataka govt is going to bring the bill to free temples from govt control: A ray of Hope for the rise of Hindutva
- Islamists are raging Land Jihad by encroaching iconic Maharashtra forts through illegal constructions within the premises, falsifying history by inventing fictional characters
- Moulana saheb fabricates a new theory that Aurangzeb demolished the Kashi temple because Hindu kings and Brahmins asked him to
- Supported the United States-led ‘war on terror’ in Afghanistan for ‘dollars’ and not in “public interest”: PM Imran Khan regrets
- Former Muslim Vice President Hamid Ansari and actress Swara Bhasker share dais with Jamaat-e-Islami linked IAMC which lobbied to get India blacklisted and is infamous for targeting India many times for its sovereign decisions
- New York Times looks for anti-Hindu, anti-Modi candidates to spread propaganda: Dissecting the dangerous job opening
- Is "thook jihad" a thing: The significance of spitting in Islam and how spitting can ‘ward off Satan’
- To hold talks with the western world on ‘Human Rights’ and ‘International assistance’ Taliban Delegation reaches Norway: Norwegians clears that this does not imply recognition of the Taliban govt
- Congress leadership is responsible for losing 90% elections in 10 years: Report by Prashant Kishor
- Society’s upper stratum involved in Wife-swapping racket busted in Kottayam, Kerala: Seven people detained so far, part of a huge nexus claims police
- Ex-radicalised Muslim author studies mosques in UK, reveals Taliban, ISIS-like lifestyle of the ultra-orthodox community
- NCPCR pulls up UNICEF India, CBFC and West Bengal Govt over screening of films on same-sex relations in schools
- In yet another propaganda, Rahul Gandhi attacked government to bring back Miram Taron even after the army had initiated the process to bring the teenager back: Chinese military hands over missing boy to Indian Army